Spicy Veal Roast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3 lb boned lean veal shoulder, trimmed, rolled, tied
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb onions, peeled
- 1/2 clove garlic, peeled
- 2 tsp dried tarragon
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Mix together salt, pepper, cinnamon, and cumin. Rub over roast.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in large skillet. Add onions, garlic, and tarragon. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in ovenproof pan large enough to hold all ingredients. Brown meat on all sides.
- Add garlic-onion mixture. Add parsley, thyme, and bay leaf. Cover.
- Bake in 325 ºF oven for 11/2 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat to serving platter. Skim fat from cooking juices. Remove bay leaf and parsley. Cut roast in 1/4- to 1/2-inch slices. Pour a little cooking juice over roast and serve rest on side.